In part 5, we talked about how you can create a ‘pick and mix’ exercise routine as part of how to improve health men over 40.
This time around, we will explain how to do just some of these exercises properly, to make sure you don’t injure yourself. It is surprising just how many people get them wrong.
Using Leg Press Correctly in How to Improve Health Men Over 40
A leg press is a versatile machine that is ideal for how to improve health men over 40. Make sure to follow these guidelines:
- Start with your feet shoulder-width or greater with your toes in the same direction your knees are facing.
- When stretching down, your knees should be at ninety degrees or greater but not go past your toes. It should feel like you’re pushing through your heels.
- Try and get as low as possible but don’t lift your butt from the seat.
Stiff Leg Deadlifts
- Begin with your legs straight but with a slight arch in your back and don’t round your back towards the floor.
- Don’t start off with too heavy a weight. This can cause your hamstrings or glutes to lockout in your shin area.
- If you’re able to reach the floor, you’re probably arching your back too much or not using enough weight to create muscle (e.g. by only stretching)
Military Presses on Smith Machine
- Start with the bar over your head and facing forward. As you reach the bottom, your head will lean back slightly so you don’t hit your nose.
- By leaning your head back, the routine now becomes an incline bench press.
- Always keep your elbows dipped below your shoulders but don’t reach too far down.
The Side Literal (Pterodactyl)
- Start by holding the dumbbells in both hands, then face your palms towards your thighs while making sure your elbows are in line with your shoulders.
- As you raise the dumbbells, picture your hands as hooks, then lift using your shoulders.
- Your hands should not raise much above your shoulders and your thumbs need to remain flat, or downward angled slightly.
- Make sure not to raise your thumbs up. This will put more pressure on your front delts which takes away focus for your side delts.
- If you resemble anything like a flapping bird, it’s time to stop and review your form!